Trial and error Characterisation of Polyethylene Terephthalate
(PET) Bottle Eco-Bricks
Jonathan Taaffe1, Seán O'Sullivan1, Muhammad Ekhlasur Rahman2 and Vikram
of Engineering, University School Cork, Ireland
Dynamical Devices and Risk Laboratory, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University
School of Engineering & Science, Curtin University Sarawak, Malaysia
Corresponding Author: Dr . Vikram Pakrashi, Lecturer in Structural Architectural,
Section of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University College Natural, Ireland.
Phone: +353(0)214903862 Email: Sixth is v. [email protected] for example Fax: +353(0)214276648
This kind of paper address the issue of taking waste plastic-type material by thinking about the feasibility of
use of Eco-bricks for constructional reasons. The Eco-bricks are created by packaging
plastic-type material within Polyethylene Terephtalate (PET) bottles. Rules were presented to the
construction of Eco-bricks. Tests were completed to characterise some of the
properties of those bricks. Compression test, sound insulation analysis and light
transmission had been considered regarding this and compared with traditional construction
materials and circumstances. Possible applications of Eco-bricks were discussed. The paper
presents the first make an effort to characterise these kinds of bricks as well as the results motivate future employ
of which to a considerably wider magnitude and for different purposes.
Keywords: Plastic squander, Compressive Test, Sound Insulation, Light Transmission, Eco-
1 . Introduction
Waste managing problems related to high production of plastic is an extremely
important global challenge [1-4] and taking or restoration  paths of plastic material solid
waste had been highlighted with a number of experts . The mineralisation rate
from long term biodegradation tests of both Ultra-Violet (UV)-irradiated samples,
non-pre-treated, and additive-free low density polyethylene samples, in natural soil
reveal it is likely to take more than a century . In the last two decades both reducing
landfill capacity and concern of general environmental concerns have ended in the United 2
States plus the European Union (EU) introducing fresh legislations to advertise waste
a couple of
reduction [2, 9]. The impact of plastics upon primary and secondary co2 footprint is also
a critical factor that has been highlighted by simply researchers . Very dense
Polyethylene (HDPE), Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) and Linear Low Density
Polyethylene (LLDPE) are traditionally used for the manufacture of plastic luggage .
Grocery stores shopping hand bags, the most prevalent type of plastic-type material bag, will be ideally made
away of LLDPE to obtain the wanted thickness and glossy complete. LDPE is often used in the event
the producer is looking for a very skinny and gauzy bag . Existence Cycle Evaluation can
provide important insights towards the effects of this sort of plastic items [12-14]. Consumer
behaviour and governmental plans have an natural part in the disposal stage. Intended for
case in point in Ireland in europe a plastic-type material bag garnishment was first presented on next March 2002 at the rate
of 15 dollar per throw-away plastic handbag. It had an immediate effect on buyer behaviour
with a reduction in plastic handbag usage by an estimated 328 bags per capita to 21 bags per
capita over night. The current garnishment of 22 cent was presented on 1 July, 3 years ago. It was
increased as the bags every capita got increased to 31 during 2006. The aim of the increase
is to decrease the plastic carrier per capita usage to 21 or perhaps lower . This kind of number could possibly be
compared to the equivalents in China and India while...
References: 1 ) Shent, L., Pugh, L. J., Forssberg, E., 1998, A review of plastic materials waste taking and the
flotation of plastic materials
2 . Subramanian, P. M., 2000. Plastics recycling and waste supervision in the
US. Resources, Conservation and Taking
3. Mutha, N. L., Martin Patel, M., Premnath, V., 06\. Plastics materials flow analysis
4. Pacheco, E. W., Luiza M. Ronchetti, T. M., Masanet, E., 2012. An overview of plastic
recycling where possible in Rio de Janeiro
5. Carvalho, M. T., Agante, Electronic., Dura˜o, N., 2007. Restoration of FAMILY PET from packaging
plastics mixes by damp shaking table
6. Al-Salem, S. Meters., Lettieri, P., Baeyens, J., 2009. Recycling where possible and restoration routes of
plastic stable waste (PSW): A review
7. O'Brine, Big t., & Thompson, R. C., 2010. Wreckage of Plastic-type material Carrier Bags inside the
8. EUROPEAN UNION, 2008. Savoir 2008/98/EC with the European parliament and of the council of 19
November 2008 about waste and repealing particular directives.
on the lookout for. Muthu, H., Li, Sumado a., Hu, T., & Mok, P, 2011. Carbon impact of buying (grocery) bags
in Chinese suppliers, Hong Kong and India
twelve. Lajeunesse, S i9000., 2004. Plastic material bags. Chemical substance and Architectural News. In S.
10. Dilli, R., 2007. Comparison of existing your life cycle evaluation of buying bag
12. SETAC., 1993. Recommendations for Life Pattern Assessment. Sesimbra, Portugal, Brussels,
Belguim, Pensacola, Florida: Initially Ed, SETAC Workshop.
14. Lazarevica, M., Aoustin, At the., Buclet, And., Brandt, D., 2010. Plastic-type waste administration
in the framework of a Euro recycling world: Comparing outcomes and uncertainties in a
12-15. Department of Environment, 3 years ago. Plastic Bags. from Section of Environment,
Community and Local Government:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/PlasticBags/ (Date of access 14/03/2014)
review. Waste Managing 28, 1835–1852.
17. Hannawi, K., Kamali-Bernard, S., Prince, W., 2010. Physical and mechanical
real estate of mortars containing FAMILY PET and LAPTOP OR COMPUTER waste aggregates
18. Choi, N. T., Mori, I actually. Ohama, Y., 2006. Advancement rice husks–plastics
composites to get building supplies
19. Marzouk, O. Y., Dheilly, Ur. M., Queneudec, M., 2007. Valorization of post-consumer
waste materials plastic in cementitious concrete composites
20. Frigione, M., 2010. Recycling of FAMILY PET bottles as fine aggregate in concrete floor. Waste
Managing 30, 1101–1106.
21. Akcaozog˘lu, S., Atis, C. D., Akcaozog˘lu, E., 2010. An investigation on the make use of
shredded waste PET bottles as aggregate in light-weight concrete
twenty-two. Ismail, Unces. Z., AL-Hashmi, E. A., 2008. Usage of waste plastic-type in concrete floor mixture because
23. Albano, C., Camacho, N., Hernandez, M., Matheus, A., Gutierrez, A., 2009.
24. Sivakumar Babu, G. L., Chouksey, S. E., 2011. Stress–strain response of plastic waste materials
25. POLLI-Brick. (2011). Polli-brick.
http://www.miniwiz.com/miniwiz/en/products/living/polli-brick.(Date of access
26. Hopkins, C., 2007. Sound Efficiency. Elsevier Limited.
27. Smith S. T., 2003. Digital Signal Digesting, A Practical Information for Industrial engineer 's and
Scientists; Newnes Publications Limited.
28. Griffiths, D. J. (2004). Summary of Quantum Technicians (2nd impotence. ). Prentice Hall.
29. Cassidy, N., Eddies, R., Dods, S., 2011. Void detection beneath reinforced concrete
sections: the practical application of ground-penetrating radar and ultrasonic techniques.
40. Nelligan, Capital t., 2012. Ultrasonic Flaw Diagnosis. http://www.olympusims.com/en/applications-and-solutions/introductory-ultrasonics/introduction-flawdetection. (Date of get 14/03/2014)
32. NetWell Noise Control. 2012. Decibel Chart by NetWell Noise Control:
33. Rahman M. At the., Muntohar A. S., Pakrashi, V., Nagaratnam, B. H., Debnath S., 2014.
thirty four. Ahmadinia E., Zargar., Karim M. Ur., Abdelaziz Meters., Shafig G., 2011. Applying waste
plastic containers as component for natural stone mastic concrete
35. Color C., Ahmad, I., Heng M., 2011. Characterization of polyester composites via
recycled polyethylene terephthalate reinforced with clear fruit number
Design, 32 (8–9), 4493-4501.
36. Iucolano F., Liguori B., Caputo D., Colangelo F., Cioffi R., 2013. Recycled plastic
get worse in mortars composition: Impact on physical and mechanical real estate.
37. Maskell D., Heath A., Walker P., (2013). Laboratory scale testing of extruded globe
39. Hajjaji W., Andrejkovičová S., Zanelli C., Alshaaer M., Dondi M., Labrincha J. A.,
Rocha Farreneheit., 2013
Bureau of Correction Dissertation
Maths newspaper class X sa two
Meet Mike After 10 Year - Organic Scott Monk Essay
Institutional Racism And Inequality Essay
Essay about Difference Among Freud versus Erikson
Social Rights Essay
Essay about Meaning, Function, and Importance of the Expense Banker, Stock exchange,
Rain Water Collection Essay
Power level presentation Article
Rogerian Describe Essay
Alcatraz Describe Essay
AtT Case Analysis Composition
Child Safety Seats on Commercial Airliners: A Demonstration of Cross-Price Elasticities Essay